Hockey has been traced back literally thousands of years to people including ancient Romans and Egyptians. It resembled what would more modernly be called field hockey. Official rules for ice hockey originated in 1875 in Canada. Since then it has become a world-wide sport. True to its roots, it is a very physically demanding “contact” sport, but it can be enjoyed by many casual players of all ages who have access to a rink or frozen pond in winter with a stick and a puck.
Things to Learn
- What are the three ice zones in hockey?
- Name the different positions a hockey player can be in, and their team role in that position.
- Name three different hockey shots.
- Explain the game length and basic rules, and how to win.
- Define the following hockey terms:
- Body Check
- Hip check
- Hat trick
- Penalty box
I love that my daughter is really enjoying the activities to earn her badges. She has really come "out of her shell" when we go to the nursing home. And she loves to cook. What a blessing.